Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mark 15-16: Crucified, Rejected and Alone

There is not much more that can be said.  Jesus died a terrible death, not just because of the torturous nature of his crucifixion, but because of the burden of our sins that he took with him to the grave.  At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour. And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"  - Mark 15:33-34 NIV

Most disciples and other followers, except for a few women, had forsaken him, and it looked as if God, his own Father had rejected him as well.

'Let this cup pass from me', he asked the Father. But that was not to be. There was no other way.  In John 14:6 Jesus told Thomas, the one who always doubted,  'I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Even today, he is still being rejected, but the truth remains that the only means of access to the Father is through his death. 

No comments:

Post a Comment