Saturday, April 14, 2012

Joshua 2-4: Melting in Fear

I have longed for the discipline of putting my thoughts down daily as I read through the Bible, but have procrastinated resuming this blog because I didn't know how to start again.  I am not going to explain where I have been for the past few months, that would take too long and I'm not sure I have an explanation.  It was a spiritual journey; I will leave it at that.  Instead, I am going to take up where I would have been had I not taken a  prolonged sabbatical.
They said to Joshua, “The LORD has surely given the whole land into our hands; all the people are melting in fear because of us.”  - Joshua 2:24 NIV

It strikes me that even today, God's people are often more unaware of God's power than the outsiders looking on.  Here is Israel, who wandered in the wilderness for forty years because they didn't believe God's promise and there are the citizens of Jericho who had observed the events from a distance and saw that the Israelites God was something to fear.  It wasn't the Israelites that the people of Jericho feared, it was their God. 

In this age of posturing and yelling, with everyone trying to make their position clear to the opposition, we would do well to remember that it's not our words or deeds that will be victorious.  It's the works of God.  Perhaps we need to listen to him more and to our critics less.  After all, whether they admit it or not, they will melt in fear when they come face to face with God Almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment