Saturday, March 6, 2010

1 Samuel 1-2: Barrenness

The first book of Samuel begins with the story of another barren woman.  This time it is Samuel's mother, Hannah, however, instead of an angel appearing to her, she pursues God on her own, weeping, praying and finally vowing that if God will give her a son, she will consecrate and dedicate him to God.  She was so engrossed in pouring out her soul to God that Eli the priest thought she was drunk.  When she told Eli the truth, he told her to go in peace, and a miraculous thing happened, she was overcome by peace.  Her mood changed; she was able to eat, smile, and she had a lilt in her step when went back home with her husband.

It wasn't long before Hanna received the answer to her prayer; a son she named Samuel, which can mean 'name of God, asked of God or heard by God'.  Who knows exactly which meaning Hannah was referring to, but it is clear she recognized that Samuel was a gift from God.  As soon as Samuel was weaned, she keeps her vow, presents him to the Lord to become a priest, and then prays the following prayer,
"My heart rejoices in the LORD;
in the LORD my horn is lifted high.
My mouth boasts over my enemies,
for I delight in your deliverance.
"There is no one holy like the LORD;
there is no one besides you;
there is no Rock like our God.
"Do not keep talking so proudly
or let your mouth speak such arrogance,
for the LORD is a God who knows,
and by him deeds are weighed.
"The bows of the warriors are broken,
but those who stumbled are armed with strength.
Those who were full hire themselves out for food,
but those who were hungry hunger no more.
She who was barren has borne seven children,
but she who has had many sons pines away.
"The LORD brings death and makes alive;
he brings down to the grave and raises up.

The LORD sends poverty and wealth;
he humbles and he exalts.  -
1 Sam. 2:1-7 NIV

This must have given the priest Eli some thought as his own sons, who should have been consecrated to the priesthood, were wicked men.  They abused the people's sacrifices and offerings to God until finally God sends a messenger to tell Eli that the priestly line will be cut short because of their sins. "But now the LORD declares:  'Far be it from me! Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained. The time is coming when I will cut short your strength and the strength of your father's house, so that there will not be an old man in your family line and you will see distress in my dwelling. Although good will be done to Israel, in your family line there will never be an old man. Every one of you that I do not cut off from my altar will be spared only to blind your eyes with tears and to grieve your heart, and all your descendants will die in the prime of life.
" 'And what happens to your two sons, Hophni and Phinehas, will be a sign to you—they will both die on the same day.  I will raise up for myself a faithful priest, who will do according to what is in my heart and mind. I will firmly establish his house, and he will minister before my anointed one always.'"  - 1Sam. 2:30-35 NIV
 
 Hannah's words are true.  The Lord is a God who knows, and by him deeds are weighed.  By him the barren becomes plentiful and the plentiful become barren.

No comments:

Post a Comment