Wednesday, March 17, 2010

1 Samuel 26-31: The End of the Line

What an ignominious end for Saul...the first king of Israel.  The Philistines are gearing up to go against Israel and Saul can hear nothing from God.  Meanwhile, his enemy David has left Israel and settled in Ziklag in the Philistine's territory with his wives, his troops and their families.  Saul has driven all of the mediums out of the land, so in desperation, he has to go to Endor in disguise to consult a medium.  Bring up Samuel he says, and she does.

Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?"
"I am in great distress," Saul said. "The Philistines are fighting against me, and God has turned away from me. He no longer answers me, either by prophets or by dreams. So I have called on you to tell me what to do."
Samuel said, "Why do you consult me, now that the LORD has turned away from you and become your enemy?  The LORD has done what he predicted through me. The LORD has torn the kingdom out of your hands and given it to one of your neighbors—to David.  Because you did not obey the LORD or carry out his fierce wrath against the Amalekites, the LORD has done this to you today.  The LORD will hand over both Israel and you to the Philistines, and tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. The LORD will also hand over the army of Israel to the Philistines."  - 1 Sam. 28:15-19 NIV

Meanwhile, the Philistines let David know they don't trust him to go up against Israel and Saul.  When he returns to Ziklag he finds that everything, including wives, children and cattle, has been carted off by the Amalekites.  So while the Philistines go after Saul, David goes after the Amalekites and in doing so, does what God told Saul to do.   David is successful.  Saul is not.  God is with David,  With Saul he is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment