Thursday, April 15, 2010

1 Chronicles 17-20: Do What You Will

Both 2 Samuel and 1 Chronicles relate the story of when David wanted to build a temple for God in the same way, with almost the exact same words.  Both the words that came to Nathan from God for David and David's prayer in reply to God are duplicated in these chapters.

That must mean they are very important words, and not only words for David from God, but words from God to his people.  And the prayer from David should be the prayer of God's people. 

First, God says he has not asked for a house to dwell in, and secondly, He took David from the pasture and from following the flock to being ruler over his people, Israel.  "I have been with you wherever you have gone," God tells David," and I have cut off all your enemies from before you."  "Furthermore," God says, "I will provide a place for my people.  I will plant them in their own place."  And finally, "I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, one of your own sons, and I will establish his kingdom.  He is the one who will build a house for me, and I will establish his throne forever.  I will be his father, and he will be my son. I will never take my love away from him, as I took it away from your predecessor.  I will set him over my house and my kingdom forever; his throne will be established forever.' "  - 1 Chron. 17:11-14 NIV

Having already read 2 Samuel, it is clear that Solomon's kingdom did not last forever, but is that what God is really saying here?  To the writer of Hebrews, it is obvious.  In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. - Heb. 1:1-2 NIV

And what is David's response to to the promise that God would establish his kingdom forever?
"What more can David say to you for honoring your servant? For you know your servant, O LORD. For the sake of your servant and according to your will, you have done this great thing and made known all these great promises.
There is no one like you, O LORD, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears ... "And now, LORD, let the promise you have made concerning your servant and his house be established forever. Do as you promised, so that it will be established and that your name will be great forever." - 1 Chron. 17:18-24 NIV

You know me, Lord, David says.  You know my strengths and weaknesses.  You know my triumphs and my failures.  And yet you have made this promise.  Do what you will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment