Monday, April 19, 2010

2 Chronicles 1-4: Who am I to build a Temple?

Consequences follow actions.  In Solomon's case, good consequences followed his act of obedience.  Upon assuming the duties as king of Israel, Solomon went to the high place at Gibeon where the Tent of the Meeting was, went up to the bronze altar before the Lord and offered a thousand burnt offerings.  And God answered Solomon's humility by appearing to him and telling him he would give him whatever he ask for. Whether he knew immediately what to ask for, or had to ponder it for a time,  Solomon answered God, "You have shown great kindness to David my father and have made me king in his place. Now, LORD God, let your promise to my father David be confirmed, for you have made me king over a people who are as numerous as the dust of the earth.  Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?" - 2 Chron 1:8-10 NIV

So God gave him his request and great wealth, riches, and honor as well.  And with that wisdom and wealth, Solomon began the construction of the tabernacle.  Solomon's message to Hiram, king of Tyre, shows why he had the heart to build the temple for God.  "The temple I am going to build will be great, because our God is greater than all other gods.  But who is able to build a temple for him, since the heavens, even the highest heavens, cannot contain him? Who then am I to build a temple for him, except as a place to burn sacrifices before him?" - 1 Chron. 2:6 NIV

'Who am I', Solomon may have said, 'who am I to think that I can build a temple for the creator of the universe?  Can he be contained by the most magnificent structure known to man?  Does he not own all of the gold, silver and precious stones that will be used?  Did he not create the cedar, pine, and algumwood?  Did he not lay the iron deposits?  Did he not form the rock that will be used for the walls? Who am I to think I could contain him in a temple made by human hands? Who am I to build anything but an altar, a place where I can lay down my sacrifice?  Who am I to build a temple for the Lord God?

No comments:

Post a Comment