Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Habakkuk: God Answers Habakkuk's Complaint

Just as many today, Habakkuk looked around at all that was going on and asked God how long things were going to be allowed to continue as they were.
    How long, O LORD, must I call for help,
       but you do not listen?
       Or cry out to you, "Violence!"
       but you do not save?

   Why do you make me look at injustice?
       Why do you tolerate wrong?
       Destruction and violence are before me;
       there is strife, and conflict abounds
. - Hab. 1:2-3

'I am going to stand on the ramparts', Habakkuk says, 'and wait for the Lord to give me an answer.'  And the answer that God gives, is not just for Habakkuk's time, it is for all time, for the end of time.
  For the revelation awaits an appointed time;
       it speaks of the end
       and will not prove false.
       Though it linger, wait for it;
       it will certainly come and will not delay
. - Hab. 2:3

Someday, an answer will be given for all of the misery, wickedness, and greed that has plagued mankind since the fall.  Someday...For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea. - Habakkuk 2:14 NIV

But until that day, when calamity will come upon all of the nations, we will continue to see violence and injustice.  And the response to all that is going on should always be that of Habakkuk:
     Though the fig tree does not bud
       and there are no grapes on the vines,
       though the olive crop fails
       and the fields produce no food,
       though there are no sheep in the pen
       and no cattle in the stalls,

    yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
       I will be joyful in God my Savior.

    The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
       he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
       he enables me to go on the heights
. - Hab. 3:17-19

No comments:

Post a Comment