Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Malachi 1-4: You Cannot Rob God

 'You are under a curse', God tells the people of Israel through Malachi.  His message was especially directed towards the priests. ' How have we defiled you?' they asked the Lord.  By bringing crippled or diseased animals for sacrifice was God's answer.  Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?" says the LORD Almighty. (Mal. 1:8 NIV)  The priests have defiled the Lord by being unfaithful, to both God and their wives. The priests flood the altar with their tears and wonder why their prayers are not answered. 
 
But, God promises, a day of judgment is coming  "See, I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come," says the LORD Almighty.
 But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner's fire or a launderer's soap. He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver.- Mal. 3:1-3 NIV

You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.  I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty.  "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty. - Mal 3:9-11 NIV

Trust me, try me, obey me, God says and see if I will not throw open the windows of heaven. 
And you will again see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not. - Mal 3:18 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment