Monday, December 20, 2010

2 Timothy, Titus & Philemon: Not Ashamed

During his ministry, Paul was surrounded by young men whom he loved and taught to follow in the faith.  Some of them, remained true to him and to the gospel throughout his life, others like Demas, ended up loving the world more and eventually deserted both Paul and the gospel.  Timothy, Titus, and Philemon were all devoted friends and fellow workers with Paul, even to the extent that Paul called both Timothy and Titus his sons in the faith. 

These letters are written as Paul nears the end of his ministry. His second letter to Timothy is especially poignant as he knows he is nearing the end of his time on earth. He is in prison in Rome, has been deserted by almost everyone, and is alone with only Luke as a companion. Come quickly, he tells Timothy, and bring Mark with you because he is helpful to my ministry. You can hear the urgency in Paul's voice as he tells Timothy there is not much time left.  For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. - 2 Tim. 4:6-8 NIV

But don't be ashamed, Paul tells Timothy, instead fan into flame what God has put in you. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Tim. 1:7 KJV)  Instead, Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus (2 Tim. 2:3 NIV) Paul knew that it was for the gospel that he was a prisoner in chains, yet he told Timothy he would not have it any other way:  nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. - 2 Tim 1:12 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment