Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Jude - Revelation 3: Contend for the Faith

Little is known about Jude, although when he refers to himself as the brother of James, he may be referencing James, the brother of Jesus.  His letter to an unknown group of believers, serves as a prologue Revelation, the revelation of Jesus Christ that came to John, the disciple, on the Isle of Patmos. Dear friends, Jude begins his letter, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. - Jude 3 NIV

Contend for the faith.  The same thought is echoed in John's writing to the seven churches in Asia.  John starts out by stating the obvious, but that which some of the churches have forgotten already.
Look, he is coming with the clouds,
   and every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him;
   and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him.
            So shall it be! Amen.

    “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.” - Rev. 1:7-8 NIV

Although John was a prisoner, he saw the one who gave freedom, someone “like a son of man,” dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.
   When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. - Rev 1:13-18 NIV

Write what you have seen, John was told, to the seven churches.  Then, John was given the words of admonition and encouragement that encompass the balance of the first three chapters of Revelation.  To the church in Ephesus, the message was they have worked hard and persevered, but they have forsaken their first love.  To the church in Smyrna, the message was that their afflictions and poverty was known and although some of them would be tested to the point of death, they were to remain faithful.  The church in Pergamum remained faithful, but allowed false teaching in their midst.  The church in Thyatira was known for the love, faith, service and perseverance, but they tolerated a false prophetess.  The church in Sardis had a reputation of being alive, but they were dead.  The church in Philadelphia had little strength, but they have kept the word and not denied the name of Christ.  And finally, the Laodicean church was neither hot or cold.  They thought they were rich, but they were wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.

All of these churches were exhorted to overcome and given the promises that would come from standing firm.  To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God. (Rev 2:7)  He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death. (Rev. 2:11) To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it. (Rev. 2:17) To him who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations— ‘He will rule them with an iron scepter; will dash them to pieces like pottery’ (Rev.2:  26-27) He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels. (Rev. 3:4-5) Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name. ( Rev. 3:12) To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. (Rev. 3:21)

Being overcomers, contending for the faith, seems like an impossible task, but as Jude points out, there is a way.   To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—  to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.  - Jude 24-25 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment