Saturday, March 26, 2011

2 Samuel 22-24: Saved by God's Mercy

It is never good for us to measure or count on our strengths.  David learned that when he sent Joab and the army commanders out to take a census of all of Israel's fighting men.  Sure enough, there were plenty of men for a good fight, but that was not trusting in the Lord God; the one whom David acknowledged had always been his deliverer..

“The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
   my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
   from violent men you save me.
I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise,
   and I am saved from my enemies. - 2 Sam. 22:2-4 NIV

David eventually realized his mistake.  He was conscience stricken, but there was still a price to pay.  Faced with three choices, he chose the one that would cause the least amount of harm to the people.  “I am in deep distress. Let us fall into the hands of the LORD, for his mercy is great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men.” - 2 Sam. 24:14 NIV

David knew that God would always be his deliverer, that God's mercy was great, that God was the only one he could really trust. 

Why would we ever count on our own strength when it is only the Lord's mercy that saves us.


2010 Post - 2 Samuel 22-24:  The Source of Greatness

No comments:

Post a Comment