Saturday, October 5, 2013

Job 36: Trivial Pursuits

“He is wooing you from the jaws of distress to a spacious place free from restriction, to the comfort of your table laden with choice food. - Job 36:16 NIV

Is this our vision of God?  Do we see him with eyes of love for us, as one lovesick for our company, for our attention, for our affection?   Can we see him begging us to draw near so he can lift us up out of the pit of despair?  Do we see him as Hosea prophesied:

“Therefore I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her. 
There I will give her back her vineyards, and will make the Valley of Achor a door of hope. There she will sing as in the days of her youth, as in the day she came up out of Egypt. 
“In that day,” declares the LORD, “you will call me ‘my husband’; you will no longer call me ‘my master. ’ 
I will remove the names of the Baals from her lips; no longer will their names be invoked. 
In that day I will make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field and the birds of the air and the creatures that move along the ground. Bow and sword and battle I will abolish from the land, so that all may lie down in safety. 
I will betroth you to me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion
. - Hosea 2:14-19 NIV

Can we see how much he loves us, how he wants to be wed to us forever?  Can we see the banquet table he has set before us? Can we see that in the midst of all this earthly chaos, there is something marvelous awaiting God's chosen?  If so, what should our response be?  We are so loved, loved by the creator of the universe, and yet we spend most of our time chasing after earthly rewards.  Our pursuits are all trivial when compared to what God has for us.   

No comments:

Post a Comment