Monday, October 21, 2013

John 6: Real Food and Drink

Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever.” -John 6:53-58 NIV

We see with such earthly eyes, with such limited vision.  Even the disciples that surrounded Jesus had limited insight into the true power of God and his son, Jesus Christ.  They witnessed the miracles and as a result, followed him, but they didn't follow him because of who he was.  Instead, the crowds followed for the food and drink, missing out on the truth.

 'My flesh is real food', Jesus said.  How can this be unless we are missing an aspect of reality, of life as it truly is.  In the other realm, the realm where God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit reside there is a different reality.  In that sphere, the one who feeds on Jesus will never die.  We will never thirst, we will never be hungry.  Anything else we might cling to has a limited shelf life.  It will rust, it will rot.  Any other food will decay, any other means of healing will lose its potency, will expire.  But the one who gives life will never die, will never reach the end of his limits.  He who is, is.  Jesus lives in the living Father, and we live in him.  That is the real food and drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment