Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Esther: A Prayer Covering

Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.” -Esther 4:16 NIV

Much has been written about Esther's words "If I perish, I perish", but little mention is made of her request prior to those words.  Esther knew that going into the king was not something to be taken lightly.  She knew that she was powerless against the whims of the king, that if he was not pleased with her appearance, she could be facing death.  She knew that there was only one thing that would keep her safe and it was not her beauty or pleasing personality.  The only thing that would keep her safe was God's covering, being surrounded by the presence of God.  She knew that if she was surrounded by his angels, she could face anything, even death.  It was the prayers and fasting of all of the Jews that changed the outcome.  It was their devotion that caused the king to wake during the middle of the night and discover that Mordecai had never been rewarded for saving the king's life.  It was their prayers and supplication that caused the king to lift his scepter to Esther.  It was their covering that changed the outcome of extinction that they were facing.  The covering of prayer saved a nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment