Saturday, January 22, 2011

Exodus 24-28: The Secret Place

No matter how many times I read these chapters and these descriptions, I cannot paint in my minds eye what the tabernacle or the High Priest's garments looked like.  I cannot grasp the over all, just like I cannot grasp the overall essence of God.  But, specific details leap out; references that help me define the small glimpse of God that I am allowed to see.

The first thing that catches my attention is the two cherubim that adorn the cover to the Ark of the Covenant  “Make an atonement cover of pure gold—two and a half cubits long and a cubit and a half wide. And make two cherubim out of hammered gold at the ends of the cover. Make one cherub on one end and the second cherub on the other; make the cherubim of one piece with the cover, at the two ends. The cherubim are to have their wings spread upward, overshadowing the cover with them. The cherubim are to face each other, looking toward the cover. Place the cover on top of the ark and put in the ark the tablets of the covenant law that I will give you. There, above the cover between the two cherubim that are over the ark of the covenant law, I will meet with you and give you all my commands for the Israelites. - Ex. 25:17-22 NIV

This is the place where God will meet Moses.  It is a protected place, between the wings of the Cherubim.  As David sings, it is the secret place of the most High.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. - Ps. 91:1-4 KJV

There is a place where we can meet the heart of God.  A place, far away from all the craziness of life, where we can commune with Him, where all we hear is His voice.  We do not access that place easily and cannot  take it lightly.  It is the Holiest of Holies.  We can only enter there when we are completely clean and the perfect sacrifice has been offered.

2010 Post - Exodus 25-28:  The Tabernacle

No comments:

Post a Comment