Sunday, January 2, 2011

Genesis 4-6: Refuge from the Storm

God has always given his people refuge, a place to hide from the storm.  In Noah's time, it was the ark.  God gave very specific instructions on how the ark was to be built.  This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. Make a roof for it and finish the ark to within 18 inches of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks. (Gen 6:15-16)  In the same way, he gave the Children of Israel specific instruction as to how they were to build the tabernacle, the place where he met with Moses to enable him to lead the children of Israel.  Later, he gave Solomon all the details for building the Temple, the place where sacrifices were made to ward off God's wrath against his ever unfaithful people.   God is interested in giving us refuge and it matters to him how we build that refuge.  As Jesus said:  Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” - Matt. 7:24-27 NIV

The wise men of Noah's day must have looked at him with derision as he built his behemoth of a boat for no apparent reason.  But Noah was not interested in what man thought.  He looked around and saw the degradation that all of man's efforts had produced.  He knew that once the waters rose, there would be no place of refuge.  He trusted only in God, in the rock...the rock that has always been a firm foundation for those who trust in God and a stumbling block to those who refused to take God's instruction. 

So the question becomes, 'What do I take refuge in?  Do I trust in my own wisdom to carry me through the storms?  Do I trust in my bank account?  Do I trust in all of the possessions I have accumulated?  Do I trust in my friends or family?  Do I trust in my church and the pastors?  Do I trust in all the self-help books I have read?  Or, do I trust in the rock:  the one that is higher than I."

For you have been my refuge,
   a strong tower against the foe
. - Ps. 61:3 NIV

2010 Post - Genesis 4-5:  Stop and Listen

No comments:

Post a Comment