Sunday, January 30, 2011

Leviticus 12-15: Search Me

The Israelites knew what it was to be unclean.  They knew how an infection left untreated could spread through the camp and make anyone that came near it unclean.  They had to be ever vigilant for any sign of harm that could spread throughout the camp.  Their only defense was the priest who was trained to spot the unclean, whether it be a sore or spreading mildew.  Once it was identified, there was no recourse, but to banish the infected person or object from the camp.  God was serious about them remaining clean. “‘You must keep the Israelites separate from things that make them unclean, so they will not die in their uncleanness for defiling my dwelling place, which is among them.’”  - Leviticus 15:31 NIV

We have forgotten what it means to be unclean.  With all of our disinfectants, hand sanitizers and antibiotics, we have built a line of defense that keeps the unclean out, or so it seems.  But sometimes, just as it was with the Israelites, it is difficult to tell the difference between the clean and unclean.  Now, however, it's a matter of the heart, what is inside, rather than what is on the outside.  God's dwelling place is now within us.  We still need a priest to determine if we are pure, the great High Priest who can search our hearts, if we give him permission, and discover if there is anything that needs to be cast out. It was the Psalmist who knew that God, and God alone, determines the condition of our heart who cried,  Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me,  and lead me in the way everlasting. - Psalms 139:23-24 NIV

Our cry must be, 'God, search my heart, for you alone can determine if I am clean.  Search me and root out any thing that would cast me away from your presence.  Wash me and make me whole.'

2010 Post - Leviticus 12-15:  Purity

No comments:

Post a Comment