Saturday, May 21, 2011

Job 18-19: I Will See Him

Job's friends continue to heap accusation upon accusation on him.  Bildad asks, 'is the earth to be abandoned for your sake?' -  (Job 18:4 NIV)  and accuses him of perhaps not even knowing God.

That is really offensive to Job.  More offensive, he replies than any other accusation. 
My kinsmen have gone away;
   my friends have forgotten me.
My guests and my maidservants count me a stranger;
   they look upon me as an alien.
I summon my servant, but he does not answer,
   though I beg him with my own mouth.
My breath is offensive to my wife;
   I am loathsome to my own brothers.
Even the little boys scorn me;
   when I appear, they ridicule me.
All my intimate friends detest me;
   those I love have turned against me
. - Job 19:14-19 NIV

But, in spite of all of this, Job says, 'I know that my Redeemer lives.'  Everything else may fail.  But he lives. My family and friends my scorn and desert me.  Even strangers ridicule me and I hear nothing from my God.  But I know he lives, and I know that even if nothing else good ever happens to me in this life, if I have already received all the blessings in store for me, if this is all there is, one day, when this life here on earth is over, I will see him.  I will see him with my own eyes.  Everything else may be taken away from me, but not that.  I know that my Redeemer lives and I will see him.

2010 Post - Job 18-19:  My Redeemer Lives

No comments:

Post a Comment