Friday, May 20, 2011

Job 15-17: Hopelessly Lost

If the only home I hope for is the grave,
   if I spread out my bed in darkness,
if I say to corruption, ‘You are my father,’
   and to the worm, ‘My mother’ or ‘My sister,’
where then is my hope?
   Who can see any hope for me?
- Job 17:13-15 NIV

These verses remind me of the time when we were lost trying to get out of Dublin in a rental car.  Not only were we anxious because we were forced to drive on the unaccustomed left side of the street, but we kept going around circles. We could not find the road we needed to get out of the city.  Finally, we stopped at a post office....if anyone should know the way, it would be the post....and asked for directions.  A woman waiting there in line looked at my husband and declared, 'Aye, you're hopelessly lost.'

That must be how Job felt.  He kept going around and around in circles with his friends, trying to fix the blame for his miseries on something or someone.  The only end sight that Job can see is the grave and even then that offers little hope.  I suppose we all feel that way occasionally, that is part of the human condition.  We're wandering around and around in unfamiliar territory and we can't seem to find the way out.  Sometimes the only thing we can do is what Job did, wait for the voice of the Lord even though it seems we will never hear it again.

2010 Post - Job 15-17:  Is There Any Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment