Friday, May 27, 2011

Job 38-41: What Was the Question?

Finally, Job is able to hear God.  But what he hears are not the answers he has been seeking.  Instead, he gets questions from God, the first of which is
“Who is this that darkens my counsel
   with words without knowledge?
Brace yourself like a man;
   I will question you,
   and you shall answer me.

“Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
   Tell me, if you understand.
Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
   Who stretched a measuring line across it?
On what were its footings set,
   or who laid its cornerstone—
while the morning stars sang together
   and all the angels shouted for joy?-
Job 38:2-7 NIV

Most of the time, we think God is our size, someone we can demand answers of and command to appear.  He isn't.  He is the creator of the universe, the one who dreamed up this crazy, wonderful world that is our temporary home.  He's the owner, we're merely travelers here and he owes us no explanation.  Job finally gets it.  "I spoke of things I did not understand," he said, "therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."  If the Lord ever answered our cries for him to 'show us your glory', we would have the same reaction.  We don't have the answers, how dare we ask the questions.

2010 Post - Job 38-39:  Out of the Storm    
2010 Post - Job 40-42:  My Eyes Have Seen

No comments:

Post a Comment