Monday, May 17, 2010

Job 15-17: Is There Any Hope?

Job's wish to argue his case with God brings Eliphaz to life.  'Who are you',  he asks, 'to make such nonsensical requests or to think you have led a blameless life? You sound like a bunch of hot air to me.' 

"Listen to me and I will explain to you; let me tell you what I have seen,
what wise men have declared, hiding nothing received from their fathers
(to whom alone the land was given when no alien passed among them):
All his days the wicked man suffers torment, the ruthless through all the years stored up for him.
Terrifying sounds fill his ears; when all seems well, marauders attack him.
He despairs of escaping the darkness; he is marked for the sword.
He wanders about—food for vultures; he knows the day of darkness is at hand. 
Distress and anguish fill him with terror; they overwhelm him, like a king poised to attack,
because he shakes his fist at God and vaunts himself against the Almighty," - Job 15:17-25 NIV

 'What miserable friends you are', Job replies. 
"I have heard many things like these; miserable comforters are you all!
Will your long-winded speeches never end? What ails you that you keep on arguing?
I also could speak like you, if you were in my place;
I could make fine speeches against you and shake my head at you. 
But my mouth would encourage you; comfort from my lips would bring you relief.
"Yet if I speak, my pain is not relieved; and if I refrain, it does not go away. - Job 16:1-6

Job can find no comfort in any of the words of his friends. 'Say what you will,' Job tells them, 'it's a bunch of foolishness.  I am not going to change my ways.  I will keep my hands clean in spite of my circumstances even though my days have passed, my plans are shattered and so are the desires of my heart.  Don't tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel.  If the grave is my only hope, then is there any hope?' Job cries out. 'Who can see any hope for me? '

No comments:

Post a Comment