Saturday, May 22, 2010

Job 32-35: Wise Beyond Years

Sometimes it's much better to sit and observe rather than trying to argue until one gets the point across.  Elihu, the youngest of the bunch has been holding his tongue throughout all of the dialog between Job and his friends.  He has listened to both of the arguments and is not convinced by either side.  Now he is about to burst.  'I have held my tongue', he tells them, 'because I am young and respect my elders'.

I thought, 'Age should speak; advanced years should teach wisdom.'
But it is the spirit in a man,
the breath of the Almighty, that gives him understanding.
It is not only the old who are wise, not only the aged who understand what is right. - Job 32:6-9 NIV

Elihu, though he is young, allows himself to be led by the spirit. 
 
I too will have my say; I too will tell what I know.
For I am full of words, and the spirit within me compels me;  - Job 32:17-18

And with that, he begins to refute Job's arguments.  Why do you complain that God will not speak with you.  He speaks to men all of the time, in dreams, in visions, his spirit whispers to them.  God may even speak to men by chastening them when he wants them to turn back to Him. 

Elihu goes on further to say that, when Job says that God is denying him justice, he is in fact committing a sin with that declaration.  It is unthinkable that God would do wrong,that the Almighty would pervert justice....But if he remains silent, who can condemn him? If he hides his face, who can see him?  - Job 34:12 & 29 NIV

God doesn't need any one to speak for him.  He needs people who will listen.  Job is so caught up in his own circumstances that he can only ramble on about how unfair it is, and his words drown out the breath of heaven that would whisper to him.  Fortunately, Elihu who has been siting quietly on the sidelines, has heard the whisper of God's breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment