Sunday, May 30, 2010

Psalms 20-22: Some May Trust in Chariots



Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the LORD our God. - Ps. 20:7

When David was full of confidence, he wrote psalms like Psalm 20 and 21 where he rejoiced in God's strength.  He could see what God was doing, and he lifted the Lord up on his praises.

O LORD, the king rejoices in your strength. How great is his joy in the victories you give!
You have granted him the desire of his heart and have not withheld the request of his lips. Selah
You welcomed him with rich blessings and placed a crown of pure gold on his head.
He asked you for life, and you gave it to him— length of days, for ever and ever.
Through the victories you gave, his glory is great; you have bestowed on him splendor and majesty.
Surely you have granted him eternal blessings and made him glad with the joy of your presence.  - Psalms 21:1-6 NIV
 
But with Psalm 22, David's tone changes.  'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?' he cries.  David may have written the words, but it is not David speaking.  It is another king. Another king in David's own lineage, the rightful owner of the throne.  What kind of a king would the Jews be looking for?  Certainly not one who would let himself be taken without a fight.  Someone who would restore the ear of one come to arrest him.  Not someone who would let himself be crucified. Not someone who found himself in the situation where he would say:
 
I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint.
My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me.
My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death.
Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me,
they have pierced my hands and my feet.
I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me.
They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing....
...You who fear the LORD, praise him!
All you descendants of Jacob, honor him! Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!
For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help. - Ps. 22:15-24 NIV

Just as David, Jesus trusted in his father, God,  He did not put his trust in horses or in chariots, but in the name of the Lord God.

No comments:

Post a Comment