Thursday, May 13, 2010

Job 4-7: Searching for Answers

Eliphaz, one of Job's three friends, tells Job what he thinks the problem is.  "Obviously", he says in so many words, "You must have done something wrong."  What innocent person was ever punished?"  he asks, "When were the upright ever destroyed? You, Job, are not more righteous than God,. You must have done something wrong.  There is no one to call on but God.  You are being foolish if you don't do so."

"Blessed is the man whom God corrects;
so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.
For he wounds, but he also binds up;
he injures, but his hands also heal." - Job 5:17-18 NIV

"What kind of friend are you?" Job asks Eliphaz.  You think if I confess my sins to God this will all go away?  I tell you, I have not sinned.  It was not my actions that brought this calamity on me.  It's the plight of man.  I see no reason to live.:
 
I despise my life; I would not live forever.
Let me alone; my days have no meaning.
"What is man that you make so much of him,
that you give him so much attention,
that you examine him every morning
and test him every moment?
Will you never look away from me,
or let me alone even for an instant?
If I have sinned, what have I done to you,
O watcher of men?
Why have you made me your target?
Have I become a burden to you?  - Job 7:17-20 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment