Friday, May 14, 2010

Job 8-10: Bildad- Leaning on a Spider Web

If you trust in anything other than God, you will come to nothing, Bildad tells Job. 

Such is the destiny of all who forget God;
so perishes the hope of the godless.
What he trusts in is fragile;
what he relies on is a spider's web.
He leans on his web, but it gives way;
he clings to it, but it does not hold.  - Job 8:13-15 NIV

'But if you're blameless,'  he goes on to say, 'God will not reject you.'

"Indeed, I know that this is true."  Job replies,
But how can a mortal be righteous before God?
When he passes me, I cannot see him;
when he goes by, I cannot perceive him....
 ....If he snatches away, who can stop him?
Who can say to him, 'What are you doing?' - Job 9:1-12 NIV

'What good does it do me to complain to God,' Job asks,  'Even you, my friends, think that I must have done something wrong to deserve this.  But I maintain my innocence.  How can I confront God.  How can I confront my creator'.

If only I had never come into being,
or had been carried straight from the womb to the grave!
Are not my few days almost over?
Turn away from me so I can have a moment's joy
before I go to the place of no return,
to the land of gloom and deep shadow,  - Job 10:19-21 NIV

'I'm not leaning on a spider web,' Job says.  'I trust God, but I see no good outcome for me.  I may as well die.'

No comments:

Post a Comment