Saturday, May 15, 2010

Job 11-14: Zophar's Accusation

Job's friend Zophar comes at him next.  'You must have done something wrong,' he tells him.  'God is higher than you think, more than you can know.  He can see things about you that we can't.  He's not deceived.  All you need to do is reach out to him.  He can make what's wrong right.'

"Yet if you devote your heart to him
and stretch out your hands to him,
if you put away the sin that is in your hand
and allow no evil to dwell in your tent,
then you will lift up your face without shame;
you will stand firm and without fear. - Job 11:13-15 NIV

'Easy for you to say', Job replies.  'Even the animals know that God is sovereign.  That he can do what he wants, for whatever reason he wants.  Did it ever occur to you that I may have done nothing wrong.'

"My eyes have seen all this,
my ears have heard and understood it.
What you know, I also know;
I am not inferior to you.
But I desire to speak to the Almighty
and to argue my case with God. "- Job 13:1-3

All Job wants is a chance to plead his case with God.  He thinks that if he can go before the Almighty he may get God to stop his suffering.  He knows how mighty God is, but Job also knows that the sovereign God is his only hope.
 
Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him;
I will surely defend my ways to his face.
Indeed, this will turn out for my deliverance,
for no godless man would dare come before him! - Job 13:15-16

All Job asks of God is two requests:  that he stop his afflictions and that he let Job speak directly to him so Job can defend himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment