Thursday, May 27, 2010

Psalms 5-11: In the Lord I Take Refuge



Over and over again in the Psalms you hear the refrain, 'Lord God, Save me because of your unfailing love(Ps. 6:4), save me from those who pursue me (Ps. 7:1)

And over and over again, you hear this response. 'The Lord is in his Holy Temple.' The Psalmists knew where their help came from. 

In the LORD I take refuge.
How then can you say to me: "Flee like a bird to your mountain.
For look, the wicked bend their bows; they set their arrows against the strings
to shoot from the shadows at the upright in heart.
When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?"
The LORD is in his holy temple; the LORD is on his heavenly throne.
He observes the sons of men; his eyes examine them. - Ps. 11:1-4 NIV

The Psalmist also knew what our reaction to trouble is to be.
Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation.

Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God:
for unto thee will I pray. My voice shalt thou hear in the morning,
O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.-  Ps. 5:1-3 KJV

The God who has been the refuge of his people for generations is still listening for our voice in the morning. He hears the voice of shepherds and cowboys.  Of mothers and kings.  Of the weak and even of the strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment