Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Jeremiah 15-17: Does It Matter?

This is what the LORD says: Be careful not to carry a load on the Sabbath day or bring it through the gates of Jerusalem. Do not bring a load out of your houses or do any work on the Sabbath, but keep the Sabbath day holy, as I commanded your forefathers. - Jer.17:21-22 NIV

I don't have the answer for this, but I wish I knew.  Does the Lord take lightly what we as a society and a church have taken so lightly?  Does his word about obeying the Sabbath still hold true, or has it gone the way of the horse and buggy?  I can remember honoring the Sabbath, at least in a fashion.  I remember the days before the blue laws were overturned, when no businesses were open on Sunday, when Sunday was a day of worship, rest and more worship. 

Now there is no difference between Sunday and any other day of the week.  You can shop anywhere you want.  You can work, you can play.  Are we better off or are we missing something?  Does it matter?  Does it matter to God, does it matter to us? 

2010 Post - Jeremiah 15-17:  Why Do the Wicked Prosper?

No comments:

Post a Comment