Monday, August 1, 2011

Isaiah 46-48: He Will Not Yield His Glory

See, I have refined you, though not as silver;
   I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.
For my own sake, for my own sake, I do this.
   How can I let myself be defamed?
   I will not yield my glory to another.
- Is. 48:10-11 NIV

"I will not yield my glory", God says,  "not even to those who would call themselves by my name.  I will not be defamed."  We cannot cut God down to our size and any time we try to do so, we bring disaster upon ourselves.  He is God.  He is holy.  He is mighty.  He is our creator.  He is our redeemer.  He is not our buddy.  He is not one we can approach lightly.  He is not one who's name we can sprinkle throughout our conversation as if it has some magical power.  His name has power. 

The ancients could not even utter his name. They were in fear and awe of God and his name;  that same name that we approach with such carelessness.  His name is Jesus.  His name is power.  His name is life.  For his own sake, not for our own, if we  fail to understand just who he is and how he is to be revered, he will bring us down to size.  He will try us in the furnace of affliction until we really understand who he is.  He will not and cannot yield his glory to any other.

2010 Post - Isaiah 46-48:  God Will Sustain

No comments:

Post a Comment