Sunday, January 11, 2015

Exodus 3-8: All that God Sees


"But I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go unless a mighty hand compels him. So I will stretch out my hand and strike the Egyptians with all the wonders that I will perform among them. After that, he will let you go.
"And I will make the Egyptians favorably disposed toward this people, so that when you leave you will not go empty–handed. -Ex. 3:19:21 NIV

Moses answered, “What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, ‘The LORD did not appear to you’?” Ex. 4:1 NIV

Moses said to the LORD, “O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.”
The LORD said to him, “Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? 12 Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.” -Ex. 4:10-11 NIV

Moses returned to the LORD and said, “O Lord, why have you brought trouble upon this people? Is this why you sent me? Ever since I went to Pharaoh to speak in your name, he has brought trouble upon this people, and you have not rescued your people at all.” -Ex. 5:22-23 NIV

This sounds so much like me sometimes.  I hear the voice of the Lord and his promise that he will never leave me or forsake me, but I don't trust him that he will fulfill  his promise.  My life becomes one of constantly questioning what is going on around me. 'You haven't rescued me,'  I cry. 'In fact, my circumstances have become worse.  Now, in addition being enslaved to these bricks, I have to gather the straw to make them with.  Why are you bringing this trouble upon me?'

What we cannot see is behind the scenes.  The entire picture is much more complicated than what our tiny viewpoint would expose.  Moses cannot see what lies ahead.  He cannot see the many plagues and Pharaoh's tepid response.  He cannot see the avenging angel of death passing over the doorposts with blood on them.  He cannot see the Egyptians giving the Israelites their precious possessions and begging them to leave.  He cannot see the sea dividing before them.  He cannot see God's provision. He cannot see all that God sees.



No comments:

Post a Comment