Monday, January 5, 2015

Genesis 23-27: Despising the Birthright

Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished.  He said to Jacob, "Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished!" (That is why he was also called Edom.)   Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright."  "Look, I am about to die," Esau said. "What good is the birthright to me?"   But Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob.  
Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left. So Esau despised his birthright. - Gen. 25:19-34 NIV

Esau said to his father, “Do you have only one blessing, my father? Bless me too, my father!” Then Esau wept aloud. - Gen. 27:38 NIV

How often do we despise our birthright from God.  Oh, we love the Father, but we're busy with our own lives.  We're hungry, but we don't want to wait to be fed by the father.  We'll take sustenance wherever we can find it.  We come in from the field and we want to be fed right now.  Just like Esau, satisfying our immediate hunger is the only thing we can think of.  In our desperate haste, to succeed, to have our needs met, we decide that our birthright as children of God is not that important.

Rather than taking the time to really read and study God's word, we read 'Christian' novels or watch a renown televangelist.  This fills us up, makes us feel we have been fed, but it's like eating marshmallows instead of a good meal.  We grow fat and weak at the same time.  We know we're famished, but we sell our birthright for a bowl of lentil stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment