Wednesday, April 1, 2015

2 Kings 1-5: The Workings of God

When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, “Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?” “Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,” Elisha replied.
“You have asked a difficult thing,” Elijah said, “yet if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be yours—otherwise not.” - 2 Kings 2:9-10 NIV

If you look at the miracles performed by Elisha, you will notice one thing; they were all performed for impoverished people.  They were not all in dire financial straits.  Some of they were wealthy, but could not have children, or were ravaged by leprosy.  If we wonder why God does not work today, perhaps it is because we don't need him that badly.  We have financial advisors, fertility clinics, doctors and hospitals that make sure we want for nothing.  There is no need for God to intervene in our lives.  Would we give up all we have, would we lead lives of poverty if it meant we could see the working of God in our lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment