Friday, November 26, 2010

John 10-12: Ordained and Spoken by God

Jesus did nothing and said nothing that was not ordained by God the Father.  This was true when he said that he was the good shepherd, that he cared for his sheep.  And it was true also when he did not rush to Lazarus' side when he lay dying, but waited until he had been dead and buried for four days. Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.” ( John 11:4 NIV)  God ordained it that Jesus would raise Lazarus from the dead so he could proclaim “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. (John 11:25-26 NIV).

But after all of the miracles, most of them still did not believe.  That was ordained by God as well, as spoken by the prophet, Isaiah:
 Who has believed our message
   and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
   and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
   nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by mankind,
   a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
   he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

 Surely he took up our pain
   and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
   stricken by him, and afflicted.
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
   he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
   and by his wounds we are healed.
We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
   each of us has turned to our own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
   the iniquity of us all.
- Isaiah 53-1-6 NIV

The iniquity of us all was laid on the good shepherd, the one who cares for his sheep.  Jesus knew that all he was to suffer was ordained by his Father.  As he told them, For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world.  There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day.  For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”  - John 12:47-50 NIV

Jesus had the power to raise people from the dead, but nothing would deter Jesus from speaking the words of the Father and seeing the Father's plans carried out to completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment