Saturday, November 27, 2010

John 13-17: Abiding

'Don't let your hearts be troubled,' Jesus tells his disciples.  'You believe in God, believe also in me.'  With these words, Jesus tries to explain the relationship between himself and the Father.  He tries to explain that his life has been one of abiding in the Father, that his life has not been his own, the words he has spoken, the deeds he has done, have all been orchestrated by God the father.  Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? - John 14:9-10 NIV

And then he tells them a truly marvelous thing.  The same relationship that he has with the Father will be theirs.  Another Counselor will come to be with them forever, the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you - John 14:16-17 NIV

 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. John 14:19-20

If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. - John 15:10-12 NIV

The King James Version uses the word 'abide' instead of 'live' or 'remain'. 

If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. - John 15:7 KJV
 
 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. John 15:10 KJV
 
According to Webster's dictionary, Abide is an intransitive verb that means to remain stable or fixed in a state or to continue in a place, to sojourn. There is no separation in abiding.  Just as there was no separation between Jesus and his Father, their words and deeds were one and the same, there should be no separation between those who call themselves disciples of Jesus, their words and deeds should be one and the same as well.  Abiding is more than believing, abiding is walking together as one.

I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. - John 17:23 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment