Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mark 7-8: Who do you say I am?

'Who do people say I am?' Jesus asked the disciples.  'Even more importantly, who do you say I am?  Do you say I am a magician, able to conjure up nourishment for the thousand?   Do you say I'm an exorcist able to cast out demon?  Do you say I am a faith healer, able to heal people with just a touch?  Do you say I'm John the Baptist reincarnated?  Or Elijah, or another of the prophets?   Who do you say I am?

It wasn't just, 'Who do you think I am?' but 'Who do you say I am?'  It is the question that has echoed down through the centuries.  'Who do you say I am?'  In this generation, with all of the competing forces, it becomes more critical that we confess like Peter, that Jesus is the Christ.

As Jesus said in how own words, "If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels." - Mark 8:38

So, even today, the question remains.  'Who do you say I am?  As the Apostle Paul said, it isn't just a matter of believing, it's a matter of confession.   That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. - Romans 10:9 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment