Thursday, December 15, 2011

Colossians 1-4: Put On Love

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.  Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.- Colossians 3:12-15 NIV

These verses are another reminder from Paul on how we are to live, not only in this season, but as it is phrased 'in season and out of season'.  How many times can I say I am clothed with compassion?  Even worse, how many times do I give thought to putting it on?  I concentrate on my earthly clothing, fashion which will go out of style and disappear in rot and mildew, when I should be putting on the true apparel which Christ purchased for us:  compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  And love, the love that we have been given should be our crowning glory.  It should outshine any earthly adornment we can come up with.  As I ready myself for church this Sunday morning, I may be dressed appropriately, but I have a long way to go.


2010 Post - Colossians 1-4:  Not On Earthly Things

No comments:

Post a Comment