Thursday, August 26, 2010

Jeremiah 28-29: Surrounded by Voices of Hope

There are now two groups of Israelites:  those remaining in Jerusalem and those in exile in Babylon.  There are also two different groups of prophets:  those who prophesy that the fortunes of Jerusalem will turn in a couple of years and the exiles will return, and Jeremiah who delivers God's word to the exiles to settle down, marry, have children and grandchildren and pray for the prosperity of the city to which they were exiled. 

Jeremiah sees what the others cannot see.  He sees that the prophets promise a false hope to those still trying to hold on to the life they have known.  And at the same time, he sees a future for those who have let go of the past and submitted to God's punishment of being exiled.  Jeremiah gives the exiles Gods promise of something to look forward to:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity.  I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."  - Jer. 29:11-14 NIV

Captivity is not always the worst thing.  Sometimes that's where the only true hope lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment