Sunday, August 15, 2010

Jeremiah 3-4: The Sound of the Trumpet

Just as there is more than one kind of ruler, the godly and the ungodly, there is more than one trumpet sound.  There is the victorious sound of the trumpet of victory and the fearful sound of the trumpet of the approaching enemies.  Jeremiah had known both kinds of kings.  He had seen the heart of Josiah who longed to follow God, and who tore down the idols and the high places and restored the temple.  Jeremiah also saw the hearts of Josiah's three sons, Jehoahaz, Jehoiakim and Zedekiah, as well as Josiah's grandson, Jehoiachin, who succeeded him.  He had witnessed their wickedness first hand and delivered God's message to them.

"Tell this to the nations,
proclaim it to Jerusalem:
'A besieging army is coming from a distant land,
raising a war cry against the cities of Judah.
They surround her like men guarding a field,
because she has rebelled against me,' "
declares the LORD.
"Your own conduct and actions
have brought this upon you.
This is your punishment.
How bitter it is!
How it pierces to the heart!" - Jer. 4:16-18 NIV

Jeremiah delivered God's message to the people, but it broke his heart.

Oh, my anguish, my anguish!
I writhe in pain.
Oh, the agony of my heart!
My heart pounds within me,
I cannot keep silent.
For I have heard the sound of the trumpet;
I have heard the battle cry.
Disaster follows disaster;
the whole land lies in ruins.
In an instant my tents are destroyed,
my shelter in a moment. - Jeremiah 4:19-20 NIV

He heard the trumpet's cry, but it was not one of victory, it was one of approaching disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment