Monday, September 13, 2010

Ezekiel 23-25: Who You Gonna Run to Now?

Israel first, and now Jerusalem has become one of those despicable women in God's sight:, a prostitute.  Israel has already paid the price for selling herself to the Assyrians and now Jerusalem has sold herself to the gods of her neighbors and lusted after the Babylonians.  While she dressed herself in finery, her deeds were lewd.  God, who has been forgiving to Israel for centuries, can no longer stand it.  "Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: Since you have forgotten me and thrust me behind your back, you must bear the consequences of your lewdness and prostitution."  - Eze. 23:35 NIV

And then, God uses Ezekiel himself to illustrate what is going to happen to Jerusalem.  God tells Ezekiel that his wife will die.   "Son of man, with one blow I am about to take away from you the delight of your eyes. Yet do not lament or weep or shed any tears.  Groan quietly; do not mourn for the dead. Keep your turban fastened and your sandals on your feet; do not cover the lower part of your face or eat the customary food of mourners ."  So I spoke to the people in the morning, and in the evening my wife died. The next morning I did as I had been commanded. - Eze. 24:16-18 NIV

I am going to do the same thing to you, God says to his people.  I will take away my sanctuary, the stronghold that you have taken pride in and you will not mourn or weep but will waste away because of your sins and groan among yourselves. 

Who are they going to run to now?  What country will save them from captivity?  They are noting but a tired old prostitute.  No one wants them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment