Saturday, September 18, 2010

Ezekiel 38-39: It Will Surely Take Place

All of a sudden the tone shifts from Ezekiel prophesying about the fall of Tyre and Egypt at the hands of the Babylonians to a time in the distant future.  Ezekiel's prophesies change their focus to Gog of the land of Magog.  There has been much speculation over the centuries as to the identity of Gog.  The three major religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all have their own interpretation.  There is no definitive answer to what Gog of the land of Magog represents.  All that is known for certain is that Ezekiel prophesies that a large army, will be gathered and attack Israel.

" 'Get ready; be prepared, you and all the hordes gathered about you, and take command of them. After many days you will be called to arms. In future years you will invade a land that has recovered from war, whose people were gathered from many nations to the mountains of Israel, which had long been desolate. They had been brought out from the nations, and now all of them live in safety. You and all your troops and the many nations with you will go up, advancing like a storm; you will be like a cloud covering the land. - Eze. 38:7-9 NIV

This will not be of their own doing.  The Lord God will be behind all of their movements.  In days to come, O Gog, I will bring you against my land, so that the nations may know me when I show myself holy through you before their eyes. (Eze.38:16)  And the outcome of this epic battle will be God's doing as well. 'I will execute judgment upon him with plague and bloodshed; I will pour down torrents of rain, hailstones and burning sulfur on him and on his troops and on the many nations with him. And so I will show my greatness and my holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the LORD.' (Eze:38:22-23)

There is no need to speculate on who, what, or when.  It is God's doing.  Nothing can stop these events from happening.  It will surely take place.

"'I will make known my holy name among my people Israel. I will no longer let my holy name be profaned, and the nations will know that I the LORD am the Holy One in Israel. It is coming! It will surely take place, declares the Sovereign LORD. This is the day I have spoken of." - Eze. 39:7-8 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment