Sunday, February 20, 2011

Deuteronomy 31-34: Rest Between His Shoulders

Sometimes as I read the chapters chosen for my daily devotion, nothing comes to me.  Everything is familiar, the stories have all been told before.  And then, suddenly a verse leaps out; one that seems specifically designed for me alone.  This morning it is the blessing that Moses pronounced on Benjamin, shortly before he climbed Mt. Nebo for a parting glance at the promised land before he died.

 “Let the beloved of the LORD rest secure in him,
   for he shields him all day long,
   and the one the LORD loves rests between his shoulders
.”  - Deut. 33:12 NIV

'The one the Lord loves rests between his shoulders.'  Suddenly I see what my relationship to the Lord should look like.  It is not adult to adult as I often imagine.  We are not on the same level at all.  I am his child.  He carries me.  I'm resting between his shoulders like a small child riding piggy back on his father's back.  I'm holding on for dear life, with my arms wrapped around his neck, but he's holding on to me as well.  He will not let me fall.  He loves me, I can rest secure in him.  If nowhere else, there is rest between his shoulders.

2010 Post - Deuteronomy 31-34:  From Moses to Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment