Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Numbers 20-21: Lost to History

I am always trying to find maps of ancient Israel to understand the location of all the cities that are mentioned in Israel's conquest of the promised land.  Most of the records of the whereabouts those cities and their inhabitants have been lost.  We can only presuppose as to their exact location.  Just like the kings of those nations, they have faded into oblivion.  The enemies that loomed so large in Israel's eyes, the ones that denied the Israelites access to the land God had promised them, have all been lost to history. 

That has often been the case in my life as well.  Those enemies, the fears I faced, have been long forgotten.  There is a vague, fleeting, memory of old battles won or avoided by God's providential hand, but that is all.  I really have few scars to show for all God has brought me through.  What does stand out in my mind, whenever I reflect on the course of my life, is all of those times where God's power was at work.  In retrospect, I  see my past as God's leading and guiding me to where I am right now.  Does that mean that all the battles have been won, that all of the enemies have been faced?  That was not God's promise to the Israelites and it is not his promise to me.  But he did promise that he would go before and would bring them (and me) to a land of promise, one flowing with milk and honey.  I must keep my eyes on him and not on the the opposition.

2010 Post- Numbers 18-21:  A Generation Passes

No comments:

Post a Comment