Sunday, February 13, 2011

Deuteronomy 5-8: Where is the Righteousness?

The LORD commanded us to obey all these decrees and to fear the LORD our God, so that we might always prosper and be kept alive, as is the case today. And if we are careful to obey all this law before the LORD our God, as he has commanded us, that will be our righteousness.” - Deut. 6:24-25:  NIV

Moses spoke these words to the children of Israel as he was recalling all that God had done for them and encouraging them to never forget.  Unfortunately, for that generation and all of those that were to follow, God's decrees and commands were all too soon forgotten, abandoned, or expanded upon until it was impossible to follow them.  Where was their righteousness? 

The same is true for me.  My memory is faint, my recollections spotty.  I can't remember all of my sins, let alone all that God has done for me.  And as far those commandments, when I hold them up against Jesus' measuring rod.:  “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. (Matt. 5:21-22 NIV),  I fall short every time and have to cry as the apostle Paul, 'Woe is me."

But, thank God, he provided a way.  Just as he led the children of Egypt out of slavery in Egypt, he leads me out as well.  The sacrifice has been laid on the altar and I am free.
2010 Post - Deuteronomy 5-8:  Hear O Israel

No comments:

Post a Comment