Monday, February 14, 2011

Deuteronomy 9-12: He is Your Praise

To the LORD your God belong the heavens, even the highest heavens, the earth and everything in it. Yet the LORD set his affection on your forefathers and loved them, and he chose you, - Deut. 10:15-16 NIV

It's an amazing thing, that this God, who owns all of creation, who owns the universe, should set his affections on us.  How can he love us?  I look around and there is not much of anything that is lovable in this world. Not only do we bicker and fight with each other, but we destroy God's creation daily just as we destroy each other.  We're vicious, unloving, sinful, proud, loose, undisciplined, and unrestrained people and that is just those who call themselves Christians.  The rest of the world has taken the depths of depravity to an even greater level. 

Yet God still loves us.  He still loves me and I am as guilty as the next one of falling short of what he commanded us to be.  Those are easy words to put down on paper but do I really think I am as guilty as the rest of the world?  Do I say I fall short because it is what is expected of me.  Do I secretly think that it is the rest of the world that has gone mad while I am still saintly?  I confess that sometimes I feel that way.  I see everyone else's faults and seldom my own, which is perhaps more grievous in God's eye than being the worst of sinners.  Where is there any hope? 

Hope abounds.  God has been faithful to his creation when we have not.  He has done wonders, not only when he created the earth or brought the Israelites out of Egypt, but the most great and awesome wonder when he provided a way when it was hopeless.  He is your praise; he is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes. - Deut. 10:21 NIV

I have seen it with my own eyes  I've seen his mercy and grace.  I have seen his great and awesome wonder in my life.  He indeed is my praise.

2010 Post - Deuteronomy 9-13:  Blessing or Curse

No comments:

Post a Comment