Saturday, February 5, 2011

Numbers 9-12: Face to Face

There were prophets and then there was Moses.  It all started with the people complaining about the lack of meat in the camp.  'How can I handle all this grumbling and complaining?' Moses asked God who answered with his own question.  “Is the LORD’s arm too short? You will now see whether or not what I say will come true for you.” (Num. 11:23 NIV)  At God's prompting, seventy of the elders stood around the tent of meeting.  When God spoke to Moses from the cloud, the Spirit rested on the seventy elders and they all prophesied.  The next thing you know quail are falling around them for as far as the eye can see. 

The seventy elders heard from God, which prompted Miriam and Aaron to wonder why Moses was the one in charge.  Didn't they hear God as well?  God called the three of them to the tent of meeting and spoke directly to Aaron and Miriam.
“Listen to my words:
  “When a prophet of the LORD is among you,
   I reveal myself to him in visions,
   I speak to him in dreams.

But this is not true of my servant Moses;
   he is faithful in all my house.
With him I speak face to face,
   clearly and not in riddles;
   he sees the form of the LORD.
Why then were you not afraid
   to speak against my servant Moses?
” - Num. 12: 6-8 NIV

There are prophets, there are those who see visions and dream dreams.  But that is not the same as being intimate with the Lord.  Sometimes we confuse the two and think that the only spiritual ones are those who hear or see.  But true intimates are those who know. 

2010 Post - Numbers 9-12:  Move 'em Out

No comments:

Post a Comment