Friday, November 22, 2013

1 Corinthians 5: Who Can Point?

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?  God will judge those outside. - 1 Cor. 5:12-13 NIV

I think we, as American Christians, have been far too lenient with those inside the church while casting harsh criticism on those outside.  This is in opposition to Jesus' teaching of, 'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone', and is contrary to the teachings of Paul as well.  We seem to have established degrees of sin, some of which are tolerated within the church like greed, gluttony, envy, strife, gossip, and even robbing from the poor to support our favorite charity which is usually ourselves. At the same time, we damn those outside the church who might be homosexuals, in favor of abortion or on the wrong side of the political fence. 

Shame on us.  In Matthew 5, Jesus said that if you even look at a woman, you have committed adultery, if you're angry it's the same as murder, and if you say 'You fool!' you are in danger of the fire of hell. 

I know that I, myself, am guilty of a lot of sins that would sentence me to damnation.  Some of them were in my past and as I have grown in the Lord, I have put them behind me. Others I have not been so successful with. I struggle with gluttony. I'm afraid I still harbor greed, envy, and malice.  Jesus came to make us whole.  It's an individual thing and each of us must look at ourselves before we point the finger anywhere, especially outside the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment