Thursday, November 14, 2013

Psalms 45: The King is Enthralled by Our Beauty


Listen, O daughter, consider and give ear: Forget your people and your father’s house.
The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. -Ps. 45:10-11 NIV

We hold on to too many things.  It's not just possessions that enthrall us, but people as well.  We hold on to our family, our cities, our schools, our churches our nation.  The Psalmist saw this as an exercise in futility.  None of these persons or institutions will ever love us or give back to us in return for our adoration.  None of them!

But, the King, imagine that, the King of Glory is enthrall end by our beauty.  He sees his creation as beautiful when even our closest friends and family see our faults.  Just as a bride leaves behind all if her family to be joined to her husband, we  as the bride of Christ should leave behind our earthly loves in favor of our eternal King.  He wants to be our beloved, our passion.  He wants the place of honor in our lives.  He wants to be our Lord.

Years ago, after living life on my own terms for years, I was suddenly struck with the truth that, although I had accepted Jesus as my Savior, I had never made him my Lord.  What a difference it made when I gave him first place in my life, when I put him on the throne rather than any other gods.  Even after all these years, I still find myself  sometimes slipping back into old habits.  Does my life get better during those times?  Certainly not!  In fact, the more I pursue my own pleasure, the more miserable my life becomes.  The more I look to friends, family, community, or even Church for my happiness, the more miserable I become.  It is only when I become enamored once more with the one who is enthralled with me, that I find the joy I so earnestly seek.  That God can see me as beautiful is something that I have trouble understanding, but he does, and for that I will be eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment