Monday, November 25, 2013

1 Corinthiians 6: It is His


What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. -1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NIV

I frequently realize that I have been bought with a price.  I am fully and painfully aware of the price that Jesus paid for me.  He didn't have to do it.  He could have left me to bear the burden of my sins and the accompanying despair.  But he didn't, he freely gave himself as the purchase price to buy my salvation and to pay for my adoption into the family of God.  He bought me and took that broken down mixture of clay and hard stone and turned it into his temple.

His temple.  That is the thing I fail to remember.  I am his temple.  A place for worship, a place for sacrifice, a place for being brought to my knees in awe.  Too often I see my body as my own, just as I see my mind as my own.  But, Paul says, we now have the mind of Christ. “For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.(1 Cor. 2:16 NIV)  It is not our own mind any longer.  In the same way, we have the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. (1 Cor. 2:12 NIV)

There you have it, this temple of the body, mind and spirit, is totally owned by God.  He bought us with a price.  This temple is not our own, it is his.  When it is tempted to do something harmful or shameful, it is his. When it brings glory to him, as that is the least I can do, it is his. When it pains me, or embarrasses me, it is his.  When I reach the end of my days and all fails, it is his. 

No comments:

Post a Comment