Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Acts 10: Forgiveness of Sins

 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.” -Acts 10:43 NIV

Most of the time, I go blithely on my way, doing what I am accustomed to doing, but sometimes something stops me right in my tracks and I have to face the facts.  The fact that I must face today is that I am a sinner.  There is no other word for it.  In spite of all my self perceived good deeds, I am nothing but a sinner; always have been, always will be.  That's why the message of the cross is so important, so liberating.  It gives me something that I can't obtain on my own.  It gives me forgiveness, absolution, freedom...something that is not to be found in all of my good acts.  Just like Cornelius, being good, doing good deeds, even praying is not enough.  That is why he called for Peter to come.  All of us still feel the need for something more and realize it cannot be found in any of our actions,  it is only found by believing in the one about whom the prophets testified. All of us need to hear the truth of Jesus.  There is no other means for finding forgiveness for our sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment