Friday, January 17, 2014

Exodus 9: Eagles' Wings

You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. 
Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites
.” - Exodus 19: 4-6 NIV

Have you seen, have you experienced those times when God carried you on eagles wings, times when your knees knocked so bad that you could not move forward in any strength of your own?  Well, if not, then you are missing what it means to be totally dependent on God and all of the blessings that follow from that dependency.  We were not created to tough it out of our own accord, rather as Isaiah says, "They that wait upon the Lord, shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles;" (Is. 40:31 KJV).  I have always had the picture in my mind of having my own wings, but perhaps that is not the right image.  Perhaps it is more like when the great eagle, Landroval, carried  Frodo and Sam to safety from Mount Doom, in The Lord of the Rings.  Perhaps that is what God is wanting to do for us.  Perhaps being totally obedient means letting go of our own means of transportation and relying instead totally on the Lord.  What great adventure are we missing because we think we have to do everything in our own power? 

No comments:

Post a Comment